Marsh Hawk Review is an online poetry journal sponsored by the Marsh Hawk Press collective. Marsh Hawk Review will appear twice a year, under the revolving editorship of collective members. Each issue will offer a selection of poems solicited by the editor, in addition to new work posted by poets in the collective.

Monday, March 7, 2011

LYNN BEHRENDT

Ezrasure


I

We bore our bodies also
heavy with Circe’s craft


                         “I return through
            dark seas”

And he sailed
away




II

All in the spray-white eyes of Picasso
under black Ocean
the murmur of old men’s voices:
twisted lithe sinews

            spring-water
            rock-pool
            again,
                         lifeless air
                         green altars


I have what I have:


Hesperus’ grey pulp
smoke of grey shadows
a face in the smooth sea




III

back before
the first
fallen apple


heart
on a spike




no hawks




IV

The valley is thick with water

and air, air

white petals
in the spring’s mouth



            in an open field,
St. Jacques

would speak




V

Old men

          souls ascend
            like
a vision

                   then
fall




VI

What have you done
what have you
done

in my hand
my death



                        free in the air
                                    to rise
                       in my absence




VII

rattle of old voices
too thick, the

passion
scarlet shadow

dank room

life goes on


            make sound
the sound
                                    of flames




VIII

These fragments
Equivalent to:
            nothing

          no question
both he and I shall
come to
the forked road

I will try
to tell how
he stood





IX

One year
one year
down here
they trapped him
one year
and he stood in the water up to his neck

he floundered about
and that was nearly the end of him




X

he said “Caro mio, I can not”


                                    For all the good that did


And said:

I also have suffered

And they said he said:
All I want you to do is to follow

but






XI

They

            was            wrong





XII

“Damn Fool!”

They sent him to hospital.
They said: “Here. This is what we took out of you!”

He looked at it,
and said: “Boy, I’m sorry
But don’t talk about me
it’s you,
            you said it.

You called me your father, and I ain’t.”





XIII


said

If a man have not
within him
his family
will not

                        It’s hard to hide
                                               in prison




XIV

Politicians
Profiteers
betrayers of language
hell-rot arse-belching fungus foetid monopolist
obstructors of knowledge




XV

evil, the unsinkable shield
oblivion:


how long





XVI & XVII

In the turn of steel
            Blake
Howling against evil

And Augustine
in flux

trout
under saplings

and I through this, and into the earth

Je luis ai dit:
Aint yuh herd

that was the revolution….
                     Nobody knew
                              it was over




XVIII

I already told you
the son-of-a-bitch
never could
get it
to work
and so
sent
down
an army




XIX

            the big fat one
with the diamonds
, he said




XX

two almond trees flowering
olive trees and ivory Kings
amaranth, acorns,
the bloody
autumn
calyx

neither pain nor beauty

then between ungilded
columns:

Peace!




XXI

war without glory                       peace without quiet

                                    in the
                                    valley
                                    an old
                                    man
                                    beats
                                    a mule




XXII

everything in its place,
and nothing left over

paradiso terrestre

La Dona
in a red fez




XXIII

after the end of all things
they
            howl




XXIV

& after him
           the cake-eaters




XXV

the same
penthouse
or cage

appears in the air
without image
the sculptor sees form
in the facets of
and the mind
there

terra carta




XXVI

Tomorrow I will lie in the thorns
with the Emperor
the Archbishops
the holy ghost

please send 1000 ducats
I want to take myself
out of here
send the cash
by mouth or letter
To Jerusalem



there’s not time




XXVII

I lay
in the earth

the earth
that made me

I sleep
I rot

and I
build

no wall.






'

No comments: