Marsh Hawk Review is an online poetry journal sponsored by the Marsh Hawk Press collective. Marsh Hawk Review will appear twice a year, under the revolving editorship of collective members. Each issue will offer a selection of poems solicited by the editor, in addition to new work posted by poets in the collective.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Basil King

From -THE GREEN MAN


A Green Man
Takes off
His foliage
A naked man
Takes off his hat
Rainbows
A home for fingers
The missing tail
Invents
A Green Man


There is hunger
There is always hunger
A mouth a page a canvas
A colored eye
A thirsty tongue
Bring him in bring him in
Bring in the forgotten
The twin the initiator
The sky Blue
Green initiator
Bring him in bring him in
The car the automobile
With side walls the house
Between continents
A perplexed roof
Bring him in bring him in
There is hunger

There is always hunger
A mouth a page a canvas
A colored eye
A thirsty tongue
The country is in trouble
No one will come forward
No one will initiate
The New Year
Bring him in bring him in
Bring in the forgotten
The twin the initiator
The sky Blue
Green initiator

I choose to live
As I have always
Lived
Choice is
My mentor
And I choose
To be
A painter
And a poet
I choose to live
As I have always
Lived
Choice is
My mentor

From the abstract to the figure
From the figure to the abstract

It is one thing to survive
It is another to prevail

So I’m looking for the Green Man inside of me – that indefinable function that forms a process of continuous creation.

No comments: