Marsh Hawk Review is an online poetry journal sponsored by the Marsh Hawk Press collective. Marsh Hawk Review will appear twice a year, under the revolving editorship of collective members. Each issue will offer a selection of poems solicited by the editor, in addition to new work posted by poets in the collective.

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Jamey Hecht

The Sonnet You Deserve


Can you image how the ancient damned

Arriving at the office of the Minotaur

Remembered every stupid thing they said

Over a lifetime of sarcastic jibes?

Lined up for miles, tinted by magma’s glow,

Inundated with chagrin, remorse, despair,

Never to choose again: respect, or hate?

Envy drove them to their waste of words,

Attacking with their painted darts of wit;

Content (never content) to mock, not make;

Alcohol their water; spite, their grinning love;

Summer after summer spent in hen-peck gossip.

Everyone knows about the boy who cried “Wolf!”

You’re the girl who cried “Grow up!” and died.


*******


Tyrannosaurus Rex


I am Tyrannosaurus Rex. Hunger is my kingdom.

The sun assails me. My blood is inward fire, I need no sun.

My scales of black, gold, green absorb, reradiate the light. I swelter

Daylong in the ferns until I smell another animal of size, Diplodocus,

Walking upriver in a pod of nine. My saliva flows poisonous, I tremble

A moment, then my slow life explodes into motion and I kill one.

Without the flesh of other animals, my body will die.

At times my strength has almost failed until I ate. Twice I almost died.

In my tiny mind, a pilot light of consciousness was kindled, partway down

My life’s mysterious span. Nowhere near language, I note the approaching light;

From utter darkness I enter on the shoreline of sentience’s outermost glimmer. Fog.

Ankle-deep in Lethe I ply the ferns on my earth-shaking legs and wend my huge way

To blood, meat, the marvel of my thunderous scream astonishingly loud. I break

Diplodocus at the shoulder with my jaws and rip him apart and devour his body.

Tiny cymbals of neural connectivity clang and quiver in my little brain.

1 comment:

sava said...

I love these two poems. Thank you for publishing them.